Plenty of individuals are afflicted with high blood pressure, commonly known as hypertension. At times, this illness goes undetected because it does not display symptoms though people who have experienced this condition often complain about headaches, dizziness and even breathing difficulties.
If high blood pressure is left undiagnosed, it can lead to even more serious conditions like heart diseases. To keep track of your blood’s condition, you should always have a blood pressure monitor on hand.
There are lots of different models of blood pressure monitor available. In this article, we are going to discuss how to use wrist blood pressure monitors.
The monitor is employed to measure the blood pressure of an individual. A healthy person’s blood pressure should be around 110/75-130/80.
A blood pressure monitor is a crucial piece of medical equipment that can do you a lot of good particularly if you often have hypertension symptoms. Frequent monitoring is important to determine if you must take medicines or if you need to seek the help of your physician.
Doctors and nurses often use a standard blood pressure monitor but there are now portable monitors being sold today which are handier and more convenient for use at home. They are easy to use and people can employ them without the need for a doctor or nurse’s assistance.
The wrist blood pressure monitor is convenient and lightweight. You can use it even when you are on the go. This is a digital monitor and it can be worn on the wrist like a regular watch. The reading will be shown with just one press of a button on the device.
The wrist blood pressure monitor is as accurate as standard BP monitors since they designed to provide precise readings. While some people complain that the device displays discrepancies when it comes to readings, accuracy will only pose a problem if the device is not used in the correct manner.
Here are some steps on how to use a wrist blood pressure monitor properly.
- Read the instructions carefully and follow them. The first step will involve inputting the date, time and other standard settings on the monitor.
- Do not partake in any physical activity, eat or smoke for at least 10 minutes before the blood pressure reading takes place so that the reading will be more accurate. Look for a place where you can be comfortable. It will help if you are relaxed.
- Fix the cuff of the blood pressure device around your wrist and make sure that it fits your wrist properly. The device’s control panel must be placed on the inside of the wrist. There must be a space roughly a finger’s width between your hand and the cuff.
- Make sure that the cuff sits snugly around your wrist by means of the Velcro strap. The monitor must be snug but not too tight.
- With the palm facing up, allow the arm to rest on a table or any flat, even surface. The cuff must also be resting at a similar level with your heart, so make use of a cushion or small pillow if need be.
- Finalize any initial selections as needed by the monitor. For instance, if the blood pressure is made to keep track of several users, pick the user to follow your readings.
- Start the reading by pressing the Start or Go button on the device.
- Stay still and relaxed as the cuff expands. Any sort of motion will trigger your blood pressure to rise up, which can influence the reading. When the activity is finished, the cuff will shrink and the blood pressure reading will be shown on the device’s control panel.
- Document your blood pressure readings in the device’s memory if you are following your BP levels. The exact process might differ so check the instruction manual first.
- When you have acquired your reading, you can then switch off the device and keep it.
One important step in using a wrist blood pressure monitor correctly is to take away any jewelry or accessories before taking the reading to guarantee its accuracy.
It is also suggested that individuals use the same wrist for the reading for better results. Lastly, it is always suggested that you take the time to read the manual carefully first before using the device.